FileBucket is a free file and folder organizational tool that allows you to collect files and folders from several locations into a single “virtual basket”, then perform a number of operations such as moving or copying them to another location.
Aside from Copy and Move, other possible operations include deleting items in the basket, creating shortcuts to them, or saving the list with absolute or relative paths.
Here are lists of PROs and a Wish list:
- Add folders, or only the files within them: and/or the files within the folder and all the subfolders within it recursively. See the screenshot to the right.
- A nice set of functions: move, copy, delete, or create a list of files with absolute or relative path names.
- Filtering by extension: users can create and use custom filters for transferring files to the basket.
- Portable: unzip and run.
Wish list: (or how this program can be even better)
- A Windows Explorer context menu entry: to add items to FileBucket, for both 32bit and 64bit Windows, would be an excellent addition (in the vein of the previously mentioned Piky Basket, a similar app which was once Free but is no longer so).
- Drag and drop: strangely, this is not possible at the moment. Would be a great addition.
The verdict: a very useful program. It works well although it could be pushed further (see wish list). A good tool if you do a lot of moving or copying files from disparate location.
Version Tested: 1.1.0 (2010-07-10)
Go to the program home page to download the latest version (approx 1.11 megs).