Ever wanted an easy way to create playlists quickly without having to launch a media player? If so then M3U Dropper is for you.
M3U Dropper is a free, standalone portable app that can create audio playlists in M3U format via dragging and dropping music tracks onto the program’s interface.
It offers a handful of features such as alphabetically sorting or randomizing the tracks list, selecting tracks by matching to a specific text string, dragging-and-dropping to re-order the tracks, etc.
You can use this program either by dragging or dropping your desired tracks, as I have done in the screenshot above, or otherwise by dragging and dropping large lists of audio files wholsesale, unchecking them globally, and then going in and checking only the items you want to include in your playlist.
Using multiple instances of the program: you can launch multiple instances of the program then drag and drop entries across the different windows. This can make it potentially make easier to work with and to manage your playlists (especially if you are creating several playlists from a huge list of audio files).
More info on this program below:
- Supports files or links: you can drag and drop audio files to the program files to the program interface or otherwise drag audio file links from the browser window; M3U Dropper can work with both.
- Export formats: M3U, M3U8, PLS, WPL
- Toggling always on top: is possible.
- Portable: does not require installation.
Wish list: (or how this program can be even better)
- The ability to drag and drop a folder to import all audio files or folders inside it recursively. Currently, you will need to go into the folder and drag and drop the tracks themselves.
- The option to sort by track (or even by ID3 tags) rather than by path.
The verdict: a nice little program. This is the kind of app that some users will use extensively to help organize their audio library while others will keep around just in case and use intermittently; either way it will prove very handy and useful.
I like that it is portable and low-involvement and just intuitive and direct, no un-needed complications.
If you would like something more sophisticated that can create “intelligent” playlists based on user-defined guidelines check out “Random MixTape Maker” in addition to M3U Dropper.
The Version Tested: 0.563
Compatibility: Windows NT or higher (32bit and native 64 bit versions available).
Go to the program home page to download the latest version (approx 219K).