“Ghouls’n Ghosts Remix” is a side scrolling platform shoot em up. It is a “retro remake” based on a conflation of the old 80’s arcade games Ghosts’n Goblins, Ghouls and Ghosts, and the newer Super Ghouls’n Ghosts.
I knew I was going to have to write this game up as I’ve been a fan of the Ghosts’n Goblins since the good old days when the Commodore Amiga was the hottest thing around in the late 80’s.
The storyline, if you need one, is that you’re a knight striving to free your princess from the clutches of a demon boss or somesuch, and have to fight through his minions and legions of, well, ghosts, goblins, and other monsters to get her back.
(click here for the Wikipedia entry for Ghosts’n Goblins). Here are some notes on this game:
- Playability: very playable game; faithful to the originals (and, well, the reason there were three of these games is that they’re very playable). Incidentally these games were known to be somewhat hard and this one is no exception.
- The graphics: look appropriately retro (i.e. will have a somewhat pixellated look on big screens even on the highest resolution); very well done and faithful to the original, actually.
- Installation: you don’t need to install the game, just unzip; however note that you need to download the “allegro library files” and place these in either your windows/system or windows/system32 folder.
- Fullscreen: you can play this game in fullscreen no matter what resolution you choose. From the options screen set both “Fullscreen” and “Fit Resolution” to “On”.
- Bugs: encountered very few (in fact only one; when set on “fullscreen” and the highest resolution the game wouldn’t start, but my laptop’s graphics card is always screwy). Keep your eye on updates.
The new/modified levels are very nicely done. I like that this game has the familiar look and feel of a remake but given an entirely new form. If you are interested in playing the emulated originals you can find them all over the internet (go to the “Ghosts and Goblins Series Online” site for more info).
Version tested: 0.42
Compatibility: Windows, Linux , Mac.