Mediacoder is a free universal transcoder that can be used to convert across many different audio and video formats.
It offers advanced features including batch encoding and extendability through plugins.
If you’ve ever wanted a program that can convert any media format to another (audio and video), this is the program that you’re looking for.
Here are some of the most important features this program offers:
- Fully standalone; all codecs, filters and/or media players it needs are built it. This means that (a) it will not install a bunch of codecs and filters on your system that you may or may not use or need, and (b) there is less of a liklihood that your conversions may suffer from any conflicts and/or problems with the codecs that may exist on your machine.
- Allows for batch encoding
- Allows you to convert audio across multiple formats. Reads and writes the following: MP3, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, AAC+, AAC+V2, MusePack, WMA, RealAudio, FLAC, WavPack, Monkey’s Audio, OptimFrog, AAC Lossless, WMA Lossless, WAV/PCM.
- Allows you to convert video across multiple formats. Can read and write: H.264, Xvid, DivX, MPEG 1/2/4, H.263, Flash Video (FLV), Windows Media, AVI, MPEG/VOB, Matroska, ASF/WMV, and MP4. Will read only (i.e. will convert from but not to): 3ivx, RealVideo, RealMedia, Quicktime, OGM, CD, VCD, DVD, CUE Sheet.
- Can rip audio from a CD or DVD, although without CDDB support the former is really not that useful.
- Ability to re-multiplex a video file into various container formats on the fly, in batch. For example, you could re-multiplex an Xvid encoded .AVI file into .MP4 container format without having to re-encode (note: this doesn not mean that, in this example, the new .MP4 file will work on the Ipod necessarily).
- There are a number of downloadable plugins and extentions available for Mediacoder which primarily seem to offer customized user interfaces and profiles for various portable devices (mobile phones, PSP, etc.). Strangely, I was not able to find an Ipod plugin.
- Can convert video straight from a non-encrypted DVD, and will allow you to choose which tracks and/or specific chapters you want. Can also convert DVD VOB files that are ripped to the hard drive.
This program is really cool. If I had a criticism, however, it would be that the version I tested was somewhat buggy and transcoding would somtimes fail for no apparent reason. It was beta, however, and I assume that the stable release would not have these problems. I also wish the interface were more streamlined, as I find the current design less intuitive than it could be. A “wizard” mode would be an excellent addition.
This is a program that can essentially convert anything to anything. One of the best things this program has going for it is the community that has growin around it and that participates in the forums. This community (a) creates plugins and extentions for Mediacoder, and (b) generates a rich online body of knowledge that you can tap into to find answers for all of your encoding needs.
Version tested: 0.5.1.build 2845