MP3 to iPod Audio Book Converter will combine a number of MP3 files into a single .M4B audiobook file. Ipod M4B audiobooks support a number of features including remembering last listening position and the ability to adjust reading speed.
Having recently transferred an audiobook consisting of some 56 MP3 files into my new IPhone, I realized that it wasn’t possible to use ’song shuffle’ without getting these files played as well, interrupting the music, and requiring a human intervention. I had tagged these MP3s as “audiobook” genre but being as there is no “shuffle songs from all genres except” function I started searching for an MP3 to Audiobook converter and found this program.
(Why use an app like this instead of an audio converter or transcoder? because it will both convert and combine in one action, as well as provide an interface for sorting chapters correctly and editing the tag info of the resulting audiobook).
Fitst, here’s a list of reasons why Apple’s audiobook M4B format is a good thing:
- Combines all the different MP3s constituting the different chapters into an easy to manage single M4B file.
- Will not get played when using song shuffle
- Remembers the last listening position and allows you to get back right at the point where you left off.
- Allows you to adjust the reading speed.
Here are some notes on this program:
- Will combine as well as convert all MP3 files into a single M4B audiobook.
- Very simple; load MP3s and convert. Supports drag and drop.
- You have to make sure that the files are in the correct sort order; sort order for individual MP3 files corresponds to their sort order in explorer (i.e. in the directory where they reside).
- The program allows for adjusting the sort order of files individually (move up/move down).
- MP3 to iPod Audio Book Converter will allow you to modify/set tag information for your file straight from the program interface.
Wish list (or how this program can be even better):
- Support for other audio formats (esp. Ogg Vorbis) not just MP3
- Allow for moving up/down of blocks of files or multiple file selections.
The verdict: I like it; hit me with those audiobooks, baby!.
Version tested: 0.14
Compatibility: Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/2003/Vista. Mac and Linux versions promised soon.