Shock Aero delivers to Windows XP, 2000, and 2003 the ability to emulate the 3D program selection (Alt+Tab) style employed by Vista Aero or the Macintosh grid/tile program selection screen.
I remember when Vista was first launched so many people in so many forums and freeware groups wanted a utility that does the 3D Aero Alt+Tab program selection for Windwos XP, 2000, and 2003. Shock Aero does exactly this and delivers this function quite competently. Here are some notes on this one.
- Uses Windows+Tab as hotkey, or you can launch by left-clicking on the system tray icon to. Press the hotkey multiple times or use the mousewheel to scroll through the multiple programs/selections.
- Your system’s Alt+Tab behavior remains unchanged.
- Does a really good job with its 3D screen output.
- Uses 15 megs in memory, which although isn’t quite lightweight isn’t a lot, especially considering the 3D functionality that this program provides.
- Select Vista Aero or Mac style from the options in the system tray (where you can also set it to start with Windows).
Does it contain malware?:
all the programs from this author prompt one of the anti malware programs that I use, Comodo BOClean, to intervene and warn of a trojan. I strongly suspect that this is a false positive, and have scanned the file with a handful of other products that I trust without issue. I have also emailed Comodo regarding this. Once and if I get a response I will modify this review accordingly, but until then, and despite my endorsement of this product, you install it at your own risk.
All in all a very nice freeware program that will provides to XP users one of the nicer features in Windows Vista. If you want more Vista bells and whistles on your XP machine check out Vista Visual Styles Pack.
[Note: I first found this program on the excellent Appaholic site]
Version tested: 1.35
Compatibility: Windows XP, 2000, 2003.
Go to the program page to get the latest version (approx 462K).